Tuesday 28 February 2012

Lent Reflection 4

For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light. Psalm 38:9

Yesterday I was talking with someone whose relative had experienced a great loss and pain, they were expressing their annoyance with another family member's way of offering comfort to the person concerned.
"You are in a dark place, but you will get through it."
My acquaintance was annoyed by this suggestion, as she saw it, that God was far away and retorted:

"She is not in a dark place, she has always been a child of the light, she still is even in her grief and pain!"

I was quite taken by this, and I think I agreed that even in loss, pain, grief and hardship, the light of Christ has still been there for me. I may have been angry, I may not have been able to recognise and respond to it but God's love grace and light has always been there.

Interestingly in the situation described above the sad, grieving, anguished person's responses to this were not reported to me.

Christ be our light, shining in the darkness which can never overcome it. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment